CREEKSTONE MONTESSORI SCHOOL
Position Title: Classroom Assistant
Reports to: Classroom Teacher (Learner Guide)
Purpose of Position: The Classroom Assistant aides the Classroom Guide in preparing the environment for student success academically, spiritually, emotionally, and physically. In accordance with the Montessori philosophy, the Classroom Assistant aides in challenging each student to reach his/her fullest potential.
Basic Requirements of this Position:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Ability to qualify as an Assistant under MN Department of Human Services Childcare Center Rules.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
- Must be able to bend, sit, stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be reliable.
- Must be flexible in receiving assignments and adapting to changes in the classroom or program.
Major Responsibilities: (Responsibilities are not limited to the following and the position supervisor may modify responsibilities as needed.)
To establish and maintain a safe and healthy learning environment
- Cleans/disinfects floors, tables, chairs daily; removes trash and washes laundry daily.
- Straighten shelves, lessons, and outdoor classroom prior to closing room daily.
- Prepares lessons for daily use as directed by the Classroom Guide (e.g. restocking materials).
- Maintains a safe environment free of hazardous elements per state and local agencies.
- Repairs materials as needed or communicates material needs to Classroom Guide.
- Assures students’ hygiene and self-care, assuring student is well-kept throughout the day and when leaving the school daily.
- Follow daily schedule considering proper outdoor time and rest time.
- Supports nutritious snack and lunch practices; promotes healthy eating.
- Cares for classroom pets by providing food, water, social interaction and regularly cleans cage.
- Actively supervises all areas of the play yard; engages in physical activities during outdoor time.
To encourage physical and intellectual competence
- Observes and makes notes of student’s progress on a weekly basis
- Utilizes written observations when meeting with Classroom Guide to aide in lesson planning and classroom management strategies
To support social and emotional development and provide positive guidance
- Approaches each student with the intent to understand and meet their needs by redirecting students using positive language and methods that develop positive self-esteem and social skills.
- Follows through on routines established by the Classroom Guide, ensuring smooth transition periods.
- Encourages students to be independent.
To establish positive and productive relationships with families
- Refers parents to the Classroom Guide when they ask questions pertaining to student’s development in the classroom; only shares information as directed by the Guide.
- Provides contact information, makes notes for Guide to contact parent.
- Establishes and maintains positive, respectful relationships with parents.
- Attends events such as parent/student orientation meetings and other school events as designated by the school calendar.
To ensure a well-run, purposeful program responsive to all team members of the school
- Meets with the Classroom Guide to share questions and observations on a weekly basis.
- Successfully completes expectations, checklists and classroom procedures as directed by the Classroom Guide.
- Communicates with the Guide any concerns or pertinent information regarding students or parents.
- Communicates with the Head of School any concerns or pertinent information regarding the students, parents or Guide.
- Reports any and all accidents/incidents at once and completes the appropriate form.
- Accepts responsibility for safety and physical well-being of students under direct supervision.
- Supervises students in the execution of fire and tornado drills.
- Contributes to news and photos for school newsletter by communicating interesting classroom news to the Guide.
- In situations when the Classroom Guide is unavailable: responds to internal and external phone calls and emails in a timely manner.
- Completes requests from Head of School and Guide within a timely manner.
To maintain a commitment to professionalism
- Supports the Montessori philosophy and educational objectives.
- Actively seeks additional information about the Montessori Method and philosophies.
- Supports the schools Code of Ethics and Conduct and commitment to my colleagues.
- Keeps communication with other staff professional and constructive.
- Supports professional growth and development of colleagues by sharing materials and information gained, providing helpful feedback and encouragement.
- Attends staff meetings, staff development, and in-service training provided by the school 6. Maintains current on Continuing Education Units as required by Department of Health and Human Services (DHS).
- Assists with other projects, programs and planning as assigned by the Head of School and/or relating to the classroom and curriculum.
- Protects the privacy and confidentiality of each student in the class.
- Maintains attendance.
- Arrives at the designated work time.
To apply for the Classroom Assistant position, please complete the form in the link below. You’ll be asked to include a copy of your résumé at the end of this form. Thank you for your interest.
Disclaimer: This position description is intended to describe the major responsibilities of the position. Conditions may exist that are not addressed. The supervisor has the right and responsibility to assign different duties as are needed to ensure the purpose of the position is addressed completely.